Innovation, quality, functionality and aesthetics are among some of the most important factors when it comes to designing and constructing residential and commercial landscapes.
Budget is also a considerable factor, one that can make a big difference to how landscapes are built and designed.
It’s not abnormal for landscaping costs to run upwards of more than 10% of your property value, which for many is not financially viable… and while investing in landscape design and construction will certainly add value to your property and offer numerous benefits, overspending your initial budget can be detrimental to your bank account!
With this in mind, we’ve compiled some tips, tricks and ideas to creating innovative landscapes that stay on budget.
Consultation, Planning & Design
Arguably the most important part of the entire landscaping process is the initial consultation, planning and design stage. Adequate planning and preparation is crucial to ensuring both your budget and expectations are met.
Any architect or landscape designer you choose to work with should have a very thorough consultation, planning and design process in place that addresses your requirements for the space and budget, including:
- Initial complimentary conversation to understand the client’s wants and needs for their outdoor living space
- A thorough project proposal that includes a detailed quote and design recommendations according to budget
- A realistic timeline for construction and project delivery
There’s no doubt about it, planning is key to success!
Lawns & Gardens
Grass lawns can be quite costly to lay and maintain, which is why many of our clients will opt to minimise their lawn space or replace parts of it with other features. Some of our clients will also choose to replace grass with artificial turf, providing it is appropriate in terms of function and aesthetic appeal.
There’s also the use of hedges, shrubbery, and various types of plants that can be introduced to create visual appeal at a lower cost. Some ideas include:
- Low Cost Flowerbeds: Instead of using high cost perennials or seasonal flowers that need to be replanted each year, choose lower cost native shrubs, plants and perennials that still look great without the premium price tag. Plus, native shrubs and plants normally require less water which can help you keep your water bill down.
- Hedges: Hedges are a great way to shape your landscape and take up empty space in your garden beds. When done right, hedges can be very attractive additions that also have the functional bonus of added privacy.
- Young Plants: Rather than buying mature shrubs or greenery, young plants can cost less, plus, you’d be surprised at just how quickly they grow!
- Mulch: Mulch is cost-effective for your garden beds, looks great, gives your plants much needed nutrients and helps control weed growth.
One of the biggest factors to your budget is the type of materials you use throughout your landscape designs – including pathways, fences, retaining walls, decks and more. Whether it’s brick or stone, timber or aluminium, each material comes in varying grades, offering various functional and aesthetic benefits.
Here are some ideas of where alternative materials can be used to stay on budget:
- Paved Pathways: From granite and sandstone, to crazy pave, asphalt, or tiles, the options for pathways are endless, and vary in price and aesthetic. For example, granite is more expensive than crazy pave (which uses a variety of shapes and sizes of stone to create an aesthetically pleasing geometric look), and asphalt has a different look and feel to tiles or stone.
- Timber or Modwood Decks: Some of our client’s opt for ground or elevated decks made of real timber, while others choose modwood decking that mimics the look and function of timber with less ongoing maintenance.
- Pool & Boundary Fencing: Pool Fencing can be crafted using tempered glass, aluminium, brick or stone. Boundary fencing often uses timber, aluminium or stone. Stone often is more expensive, while aluminium can be more cost-effective.
At InnovaScape we always provide options according to our clients budget that we believe will suit both the functional and aesthetic requirements of the space.
We put great emphasis on the initial consultation and design process, so you know exactly what to expect before construction begins.
To find out more about how we can help you design and build the perfect landscape, tailored to your budget, simply give us a call today!